Thursday, April 26, 2012

How Do Ya Like Them Apples, C.J.?

Twenty games, give or take.  Less than a month into this baseball season.  Life in North Texas for baseball fans is great.

My Texas Rangers, the team I've given emotional support since July of 1977, is fresh off consecutive World Series appearances, but fell short both times. Amidst the hype over the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (Los Angeles Anaheim, Angeles Angels... really?) over all the money they dumped into Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson this summer, I have been chomping at the bit for this season to begin.  I'm crazy enough to actually think the Rangers have the foundation (monetarily and mentally), the players, and the hunger to reach the World Series again.  Even worse, I believe they will return this year and I think they will bring to Texas the trophy that has as of yet eluded both teams from this sports-happy state.

So far, the numbers for my team are looking good:

after games played on 25 April 2012
WLGB
Texas Rangers154-
Oakland Athletics10105.5
Seattle Mariners9106.0
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim*6128.5
*longest team name ever

To say that I'm happy that the Angels are struggling, is like saying I like free ballpark nachos.  Schadenfreude on A-Rod... I mean steroids.  Could there be a bigger understatement.  The Angels can't score.  Pujols is homerless.  C.J. went from penthouse to outhouse and is confused enough he probably likes it.

I quite like C.J. in an Angels uniform.  He's got good stuff, but isn't the most consistent pitcher.  The tweeting of Mike Napoli's phone number seems to reveal, to me, at least, that he doesn't give his (ex-)teammates proper respect.  That's below the belt.  Enough on C.J., as Yu Darvish seems a class act and has shown more inprovement in 4 starts than C.J. showed his entire career with Texas.  Pujols' signing seemed over-the-top from the start.  I don't wish injury on the guy, but I can't imagine he'll be producing at a worthwhile clip toward the end of his contract.  The pressure to produce for him must be dibilitating, or so it seems.  He evidently isn't adjusted to it yet.  I'm sure Angels manager Mike Scioscia is not so amused with the $240 million contract standing on first base.  Can't blame Scioscia for that.  By my bad math, that's $148,481.06 a game for a player who is batting .222 with zero homers and 4 runs batted in.  Ranger fans are salivating.  These numbers are especially Pavlovian when the Rangers have the best record in baseball at 15 - 4, with a winning percentage of .789.  I think my team is a good one.  Go figure.

Anyway, I don't expect the Angels to suck like this all year, but I think the Rangers have as good a chance as any team at holding on to first place.  Nolan Ryan's leadership has done wonders for this team.  The ptiching wisdom Mike Maddux and the new addition of Greg Maddux into the Rangers' fold can only be a good thing.  There is a belief in the Rangers' clubhouse that the team has what it takes to get the big trophy in October.  It looks to be a great ride.  I'm in for it.  I even like apples.

I do like ballpark nachos more though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The State of the Union

Perhaps it would have been more apropos to title this post "The State of the Country".  We still have a country after all.  It s...