Thursday, April 19, 2012

A quick thought on change...

     I have several lines of scripture and poetry in my office at work.  One of my all-time favorites comes from 1 Chronicles 4:10, which Bruce Wilkinson examined in The Prayer of Jabez:

Jabez cried out the the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory!  Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I would be free from pain."  And God granted his request.

I treasure this scripture in its simplicity and power.

     I also have something I wrote one day upon feeling lifted in an attempt to overday the difficulties of the day:

There is no arena where I exist in which I have achieved flawlessness; thus, in each of my endeavors, I will harvest the seed of improvement.

I love how, that specific day, whatever was bothering me paled in comparison to my undaunted spirit.  I am actually proud to have written it.

     Lastly, another day, I wrote a small poem, with the intention, I'm sure, to comfort my questioning self that the pains that come from life are for a greater purpose.  I recognized, thankfully, that I am a part of something that is bigger than I am, and found solace in my belief that my tomorrows will bring more peace than my yesterdays have:

Embrace the uncertainty of change,
The pain of progression,
And the discomfort of growth...

As they are the impetus for better things to come.

I love what this says.  It is so who I am at the core, although I admit that in my weaker moments I crave the stability of structure and familiarity.  Everything around me that I now care about is changing, and all for the better.  My wife Brenda and I are both focusing more on our spiritual relationships with God.  I am trying, almost as best as I know how, to be a better husband and father.  My relationships with family and friends alike are all testing my ability to stretch and become more than I already am.  I don't know how I'll manage the rest of the day, but I do have faith that I will find a strength in the metamorphosis of my life, even if it is in coming to the acceptance that it's not in my hands.  I'll find solace in holding on by letting go.  And when something uncomfortable comes along to test my mettle, at least I've got some good quotes to read in my office.  If they don't spur me into a positive mindset, I'll just come up with some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The State of the Union

Perhaps it would have been more apropos to title this post "The State of the Country".  We still have a country after all.  It s...